Baked eggs are my secret weapon. This is such an easy-peasy recipe to whip up an impressive brunch the night after you’ve had friends to stay, and they look very kitsch in dainty teacups.
|Spinach, cheese and ham baked eggs|
|Play around with different flavours|
These baked eggs need a splash of double cream, so I tend to make this the morning after I’ve served a creamy dessert for dinner.
You can be really flexible with baked eggs, as long as you have the eggs and cream you’re half way there.
Once you've mastered the basic baked egg, try and play around with flavours - how about bacon and stilton - or just rummage in your fridge because this recipe is perfect for left-over ingredients.
You need a ramekin for each person, in this recipe I used teacups as I thought the saucers looked quaint and you could serve toasted ciabatta soldiers on the side if you like.
What you’ll need – serves two
- 2 x ramekins or tea cups
- a deep roasting tray
- 1 x slice of ham or scraps from a joint
- 1 x handful of spinach
- 30g mature cheddar cheese
- 2 x large fresh organic eggs
- splash of double cream
- salt and pepper
- Boil a kettle full of water and preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Tear up the ham and divide into the ramekins.
- Grate half of the cheese into the bottom of the ramekin ontop of the ham, and then crack in one egg per ramekin. Add a little more cheese.
- Then tear up a handful of spinach and divide into each ramekin.
- Pour in a splash of double cream - I don’t measure, but a little bit more than the amount you'd pour into your coffee.
- Add a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper.
- Place the ramekins into the roasting tray, and then fill the tray up with boiling water, until the water reaches half way up the sides of the ramekins – this is called a bain-marie.
- Bake for 12mins, and check to see if they’re firm to touch. They may need a little longer if they were massive farm-fresh eggs like mine.
|Into the oven in a bain-marie|
Once out of the oven, slurp from a teaspoon, or dunk in crusts of toasted ciabatta. Or for a more sophisticated treat, gently steam asparagus spears wrapped in Parma ham.
|Tea cup baked eggs|
And if you have truffle oil in the house, add a dash to the creamy egg mixture before you bake for a very indulgent breakfast.